The original Arches started in the mid-1940s as an abandoned miners bark hut. Archie and Edna added to the four-room building over time, but it had no mains water or electricity. It had an open fire and kerosene fridge. Their home-made ginger beer and ANZAC biscuits served to the many visitors were legendary. Circa 1950-60. Source: Stratford Museum

The original Arches started in the mid-1940s as an abandoned miners bark hut. Archie and Edna added to the four-room building over time, but it had no mains water or electricity. It had an open fire and kerosene fridge. Their home-made ginger beer and ANZAC biscuits served to the many visitors were legendary. Circa 1950-60. Source: Stratford Museum